Saturday, October 28, 2017

My Muckle Wheel




Yesterday a made an unusual and very special purchase that I couldn't really afford, but I felt like I couldn't afford to pass it up either, because I very much doubt that I'd ever have another opportunity like this again.

I feel in my very bones and believe it was the right, once in a lifetime decision that I had to take advantage of, because owning a spinning wheel is something I've wanted for so many years, since I was first exposed to one as a teenager in a spinning workshop, so many years ago.

Always knowing that the price I'd have to pay, it would undoubtedly be realistically way beyond my financial reach, until yesterday! I was able to pay ninety dollars for this spinning wheel, in perfect working order, and probably a turn of the century antique the Great Walking Wheel!

My neighbour in the next village just a few miles down the country road, owned it, but never used this spinning wheel. She had it in her gift shop that she's selling, along with all her inventory. She'd only used it to display the mittens she'd made, attached to the wheel with clothes pegs.

I could never have ever imagined I'd ever be able to find this magnificent wheel right in my own neighbourhood! I'm so very happy and grateful and can hardly wait to get some wool to spin!

"Great wheels are driven spindle wheels and are also called wool wheels, high wheels, walking wheels, or muckle wheels (a Scottish term)."

I feel a great affinity with the spinning wheel and especially with this Great Walking Wheel. It's a metaphor for life really, as it relates and reminds me very much of the three ages of the Moirai, reflecting the lunar phases and the three stages of every human life. They spin, measure and cut in the  Wheel of Fortune Tarot Card.





I have been learning about weaving on a Leclerc table loom that a good friend very generously gave me, and weaving traditionally always began with spinning, and so it's very fitting that I now have my very own spinning wheel to spin the natural wool I choose to use for weaving.

On both my mother and father's side of the family, my grandmothers did very fine handcrafted work, crocheting, lace work, knitting and quilting, which I learned from my mother. I never learned about spinning or weaving other than being briefly exposed to it as a youth. I'm certain my great grandmothers would spin out of necessity and knew how to weave. It gives me a deep sense of connection with them carrying on this fine traditional work.





Photo - knittyspin.com

The Great Walking Wheel has been described as being truly enchanting, and I'd have to say I'm enchanted, completely. The photo above is one I found on the great site knittyspin.com and it's the same wheel I have, just a much better photo than the one I took of my wheel. As you can see it's a very simple design in form and function. This is the great beauty of the Great Walking Wheel in my opinion.

It's amazing how common textile hand work has been featured in so many mythological stories, and folk lore, especially involving the spinning wheel, which is the oldest form of textile.


6 comments:

JimHahnen said...

So glad to hear you found this link for your creativity. Our daughter Kate (your second-cousin) is a knitter and used a small wheel to make her own yarn. I know the joy it brings her and I am sure we will see wonderous creations from your "new" wheel. Love Jim

Unknown said...

Thank you cousin Jim! That warms my heart and my cockle shells to know that about Kate! I'm beyond excited! And am ready to go into a fleece frenzy! I found a place to get some bundles of wool fleece to get started and will be picking them up hopefully Tuesday!

So doing the Happy Dance!

Love, <3
Cousin, Catherine

GST Consultants said...

Amazing blog and very interesting stuff you got here! I definitely learned a lot from reading through some of your earlier posts as well and decided to drop a comment on this one!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your kind comments, and for reading <3

Unknown said...

Hi Catherine - I'd really like to know more about how you use the spinning wheel when you get some fleece.

Unknown said...

Hello David thank you for visiting and your interest in my wheel. I have a sheep farmer contact who told me they'd be shearing this month. Hopefully I'll be getting some wool at the end of the month or early in August. It's a job to wash and then card it to remove the dirt and ready to spin. I'm new at this so will definitely be a learning curve! I've got a Winter project I'd say!