Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Robert Pirsig - Telling His Own Story


Robert M. Pirsig - 1929 - 2017

 
I was very saddened to learn yesterday of Robert Pirsig's death, who wrote Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I was first introduced to his book back in the early 70s, at the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design, in one of my first official Summer painting classes.

I can say Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance was the most influential book I'd ever read providing me with the foundation to my art education and completely coloured my perceptions about creativity, balance, values and the importance of quality, and to this day I'm so very grateful that Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance was a required reading.

Robert Pirsig described his book as being a culture-bearer not necessarily a good or bad book and that he was simply telling his own story. I'm so grateful he did.


2 comments:

thesycamoretree said...

He made a huge impact by applying a philosophy in the real world and living it. He will be missed, but I'm glad his experience is written for future generations to enjoy.

Unknown said...

You are so very right. He was a very personable, down to earth and very humble man with such intelligence, and I.Q. of 170.

Because he'd gone through so much pain and suffering with the loss of his son and then he's own mental illness, this is what made him so compassionate toward others I think, and why so many related to him.