Friday, January 13, 2017

Chris Sears Photographer

"Question" - Chris Sears Photo/ Roncey Dogs




 As I've mentioned many times in my posts I love to learn about artists that I've never heard of, or who's  work I'm unfamiliar with, whether living or dead. This artist is very much alive and full disclosure, Chris Sears is a life long friend. We've known each other since our early awkward adolescence when we were hangin' out in the " Blue Room " at the old hole in the wall Y.M.C.A., in our home town Amherst, Nova Scotia.

That said, Chris and I both studied art, but I never saw a whole lot of his work until recently over the past few years. I'm really excited to know he'd been busily taking photographs all this while, creatively viewing the world through the lens of his camera.

Henri Cartier-Bresson once described photography as "a creative fraction of a second when you are taking a picture your eye must see, a composition or an expression that life itself offers you and must know with intuition when to click the camera . That is the moment the photographer is creative " he said Oop! The Moment! Once you miss it it is gone forever.".

Like Bresson Chris Sears photography through his own intuition, captures the significance, in that split second immediate reaction to what he sees, documenting the supposed inconsequential events of life into beautiful subject matter and transforms the tiny details of human life into what Bresson called "Leitmotiv".

Chris photographs cats, as he is like me is a great cat lover, as was Henri Cartier-Bresson who took wonderful photos of cats.

I've an real affinity and love for Toronto Ontario because I lived in the East End growing up and it's where I met the love of my life.
 Chris has been living in the big T.O for many years now. His street photographs of the city, make me very nostalgic and I especially love his dog portraits of Roncey Dogs because it's my old neighbourhood on Roncenvalles in High Park and I love dogs.

And so, I am absolutely delighted to be able to share with you this link to Chris Sears photography site.

2 comments:

thesycamoretree said...

Thanks for sharing Chris' work! I've always thought photographers needed infinite patience and lightning-fast reflexes, especially when taking photos of animals/nature. :D

Unknown said...

So glad you visited his site Bev! It makes me very happy to shine a light a Chris's talent!