Friday, July 22, 2016

Conversation VS Connection

 

I don't have a cell phone. Oh I had one many years ago that I used for a very short period of time when I also thought I had more money than brains. Cells phones can be a extremely helpful in emergency situations. Only to this extent do I see them as being an absolute necessity. Mostly I find them to be an addictive, an unproductive distraction, undermining relationships and creativity.

We may be more connected but we seem to have lost the desire, interest and even the ability to engage in conversation. This situation has really come about in a short period of time.

Sherry Turkle's book Reclaiming Conversation carries a message we all need to hear and pay attention too. She might be a visionary, simply a very insightful and intelligent woman or perhaps both, from whom we have much to learn if we can take our attention away from our phones and devices long enough to listen to what she is has to say.


No comments: