Learning is a creative activity, at least it certainly needs to be, if we are going to effectively learn. Being taught creatively increases our curiosity, our creativity and our ability to achieve through the power of our imagination.
Sir Ken Robinson motivates and inspires me creatively, and to share his important message, being an educator and an artist myself. We are in the midst of a creativity crisis. His message and mission “to transform the culture of education and organizations with a richer conception of human creativity and intelligence” gives me hope for a more creative world in the future.
In my opinion not enough people are aware of his work, particularly in Canada, and his call for a transformation and a paradigm shift that is needed within the educational system on all levels.
The following quotes are a small glimpse into his way of thinking.
1.“ Curiosity is the engine of achievement. ”
2. "Imagination is the source of every form of human achievement. And it's the one thing that I believe we are systematically jeopardizing in the way we educate our children and ourselves."
3. "Creativity now is as important as literacy, and we should treat it with the same status."
4. "Human beings are naturally different and diverse.
5. " A real education has to give equal weight to the arts, the humanities, to physical education. ”
6.“ Kids prosper best with a broad curriculum that celebrates their various talents, not just a small range of them. ”
7. “ The arts aren’t just important because they improve math scores. They’re important because they speak to parts of children’s being which are otherwise untouched. ”
8.“ In place of curiosity, what we have is a culture of compliance.
9. “ Our children and teachers are encouraged to follow routine algorithms rather than to excite that power of imagination and curiosity."
10 "Creativity is the process of having original ideas that have value."
Sir Ken Robinson is what I would call a real change agent.