Wednesday, September 9, 2015

"I Did Not" - Art For Change - Mark Vallen

 
The artist with his parents at Disneyland's Tomorrowland, 1959. "We're a happy family, me mom and daddy." Photographer unknown.


I don't think there is anything more that I admire in an artist or in anyone for that matter, than those who have the courage of their convictions to follow their social conscience. 

As the artist and activist Mark Vallen says in his blog, Art For A Change post, I Did Not to "be more than a witness", or what Thomas Merton talks about in his book Conjectures of a Guilty Bystander. As Dr. Cornell West says we can advocate, have empathy, and even protest but we need to organize and take action. 

I really appreciated Mark Vallen's post that was a chronological history of his life as an artist and an activist. He's a man who truly has the courage to live his convictions.

2 comments:

Judith Joseph said...

Thank you for sharing this. I read his post and checked out his art on his website. His art is quite impressive and moving. I'm glad to be aware of him. Nice to see a die-hard hippie still making trouble! :)

Unknown said...

Thank you Judith and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the post. Ya there's a few of us still around ;)