Sunday, September 20, 2015

" But One Day I Know It Will Be Otherwise"




I love it when my two blogs intersect. It's what I most love and why I am passionate about what art does. It intersects, compliments life and all learning.

Yesterday I wrote a post about the wonderful poet Jane Kenyon, and today in my Tarot blog, http://applerivertarotreadings.blogspot.com I wrote a post about the Four of Pentacles, that focused on finding order out of chaos and attaining serenity within the storms of our lives.

There was a comment left by a Tarot deck collector and who studies Tarot and has over 300 decks. This blogger has three blogs, is an artist and an avid reader, and writer. This posted picture of the Ten of Pentacles is a card of hope and stability, in a world that often seems hopeless and without a stable foundation. This card is from the Animalis os Fortuna Tarot Deck by artist Megan Weber.

The quote along side of this card, is from one of Jane Kenyon's poems entitled, Otherwise. I think it is simple, beautiful, and poignantly full of gratitude for the day of simple pleasures in life. I relate very much to this poem, because it is so relevant to what I've been thinking a lot about lately, in our chaotic world that seems to be collapsing in on itself.

Otherwise - a poem by Jane Kenyon


 I got out of bed
on two strong legs.
It might have been
otherwise. I ate
cereal, sweet
milk, ripe, flawless
peach. It might
have been otherwise.
I took the dog uphill
to the birch wood.
All morning I did
the work I love.

At noon I lay down
with my mate. It might
have been otherwise.
We ate dinner together
at a table with silver
candlesticks. It might
have been otherwise.
I slept in a bed
in a room with paintings
on the walls, and
planned another day
just like this day.
But one day, I know,
it will be otherwise.

2 comments:

thesycamoretree said...

What a beautiful poem that gives a feeling of appreciation and gratitude, yet without any expectation of things being this way forever. It makes me want to slow down and taste each moment without rushing through them. :)

Unknown said...

It makes me feel the same way too Bev. I'm really happy you loved it. Yes, she really had a beautiful way of describing reality. No magical thinking, but seeing the magic in the everyday, present moment. It's true that we find happiness in being grateful.