Thursday, September 17, 2015

Baroness Elsa von Freytag-Loringhoven


Baroness Elsa von Freytag-Loringhoven


I have never been an artist interested in conceptual art. Attending an art school such as the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design all through the 70s, I often felt like a fish out of water, in a school that was mostly oriented around conceptual art. To say I regret attending, I certainly don't, as I was exposed to so many wonderful artists, along with a variety of art genres during a very unique period in time, at an amazing school.

I have to say exposure to artists throughout history who were women, was something that was critically lacking at this time in my art education. Having had very few teachers who were women, in a male dominated educational environment was very problematic for students. Fortunately we actively protested against this situation for change.

When I returned to University at Mount Allison University, to finish my degree 30 years later I was thrilled to see how many things had changed. It was exciting and affirming. Finally there were Art History Professors that were women, more studio professors that were women, and all with a feminist perspective.

There is still much work ahead in that in spite of the fact the majority of students studying art are women, there is still not enough representation in galleries and within the art world.

What I felt and still feel most passionate about is the art created by women artists.
And so finding this article about Baroness Elsa von Freytag-Loringhoven and how she influenced conceptual artist Marcel DuChamp, is such an interesting find and a must read.

No comments: