Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Art For A Change - Mark Vallen

Mark Vallen


Art for art sake is fine, but not nearly enough for me. But art for a change in the world, that's what really interests and impresses me. Art that is not obscure in meaning, directly speaks to the viewer this is art that interests me..

I can't remember when I first started following Mark Vallen's blog, Art For A Change, and don't recall how I even found out about it, but I know I was searching for artist's who's art reflected their own social conscience, eliciting change in the world for the better. He's had a very interesting life, and I greatly admire his talent, his intellect, and his heart. Mark Vallen's  own work is full of contemporary concerns, and his blog covers many contemporary social issues, detailed in his biography.

I admit I don't read every blog post that I subscribe to, unless there is something that really stands out. Today was one of those days where I saw in my blog list, May Day With Diego and Frida  about Mark's visit to the Detroit Institute of Arts exhibition of works by Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo. It was a riveting post, and I love his review of the work. I confess I have always been very partial to Frida Kahlo's art as I admire her greatly as a person and an artist. That said I certainly appreciate Diego Rivera's powerful and poignant murals.

2 comments:

thesycamoretree said...

Frida's painting of the Detroit workers plight looks similar to the underpaid and disadvantaged factory workers in other countries. But the folks driving the fancy cars don't see that side of the production line. It is much easier to see with blinders on, so we don't have to acknowledge the injustice. While I like beautiful art, I definitely see what a difference "Art for a Change" could make too!

Unknown said...

Thank you Bev for reading.

It was during the depression Diego did these and reading what the workers said to him was moving. I deeply love art that touches people to their core, whether it is nice to look at or not. When I look at the paintings Frida did, many were gruesome, but because she was such a deep soul I love her and her work, as she painted her life.