Thursday, March 12, 2015

Damien Hirst-How Come You Can't Paint Your Own Paintings?

Your new boss Damien Hirst?
 
I have been fantasizing a bit this morning. I saw a job posting in the The Guardian. He's at it again. He being, Damian Hirst, looking for painters to create his paintings. When you are Damien Hirst you can afford to do this sort of thing. 

My question is why would you want to? Especially when you are a capable and talented artist, who CAN paint. Only reason I can come up with, is to fast track your 'artistic creative out put' in order to make the big bucks that Damien Hirst's name brings in.

In my opinion it reduces art to the lowest common denominator, devalues the creative process and talent that should be Damien Hirst's. I can't say, I just don't get it. Sadly I do. It's all about money, and not really giving a flyin' F--- about what you do, because you are Damien Hirst.

I recollect in the past he'd said, “ I can’t wait to get into a position to make really bad art and get away with it. At the moment if I did certain things people would look at it, consider it and then say ‘f off”. But after a while you can get away with things.” Julian Spalding, The New York Times 2008.

Fantasizing about what it would be like to work for Mr. Hirst, I no doubt I'd get fired, but I have no desire to work for Mr. Hirst. I have never been a fan, especially of pickled and rotting dead things.

I don't think I'd ever have a desire to paint anyone's paintings but my own. I can see where some would be tempted by the money, and prestige of saying, "I create Damien Hirst's paintings, he's my boss."


No comments: