Friday, February 13, 2015

Saturday Night Live - Happy Anniversary!


Growing up with the culture of Saturday Night Live, is one of the very best memories and experiences I had as an young adolescent, and into my young adult life. It is a proud and remarkable thing to know how many Canadians contributed to this really rather timeless show, in particular the genius that is Lorne Michaels.

After watching  this first episode with George Carlin hosting, I can't help but be sadly and poignantly aware of how many of the members have left this mortal coil, almost too many to count now, gone. but forever alive and etched in my memory, as are so many of the sketches. But the show is still going strong and thankfully, so is Lorne Michaels.

This first episode is a real trip down memory lane. I still laugh like I did when it first aired in 1975. I would have been 22 years old in my second year of art college, my brother was 32 and Lorne Michaels was 31 years old.
 Here it is now, 40 years later since the first show, a kind of legacy that's been with all of us who lived through the 60s, and into 2015. Amazing, just amazing.

Here's the link to the first episode of Saturday Night Live episode 1975 Season 1. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.




No comments: