Sunday, January 18, 2015

The Fool - The Journey Begins

The Fool - Egg Tempera on Porcelain Ceramic Tile - Catherine Meyers, 2015


I worked for close to seven hours yesterday. Just when you think you are done, then you feel like your not done, which seems to happen a lot. But that's a good thing, as it allows for positive transformation of the work, if you are sensitive to not over working a painting. I think this comes with experience over time.

 Finally I am finally coming to the end of the first painting in my series. This is The Fool, a the carefree traveler, a youthful spirit, filled with mysterious impulse, and is very willing to jump into the deep end of the river of life.

This card numbered 0, is the beginning of the Major Arcana, from the Mythic Tarot Deck, and The Fool is at the threshold, a sort of precipice, in the great journey of life. I feel I am also on the journey, or a new chapter in my life, right along side, traveling with him. I am  also feeling some of the same ambiguity, excitement, and fear that is depicted in this card. However not to begin this journey is to deny all that is youthful, creative, and that which is greater than myself.

The eagle is the bird of Zeus and watches over the Fool as he prepares to embark into the unknown. The cave that the Fool emerges from, is the past. I have to add goat horns on the Fool's brow indicates he is driven by instinct and intuition, like that of a young animal. He is innocent, and not yet conscious, nor does he comprehend what is in store, but is leaping into the future lacking foresight, but his intentions are pure.

It feels good to be so close to having this initial painting done, and getting ready to go on to the next painting,
 The Magician. 

 I'll be finishing The Fool tomorrow. I really did think it was done until I had a re-think. Not much left to add, but I will wait til the day light hours tomorrow, and will post the completed painting. That is, if I don't change my mind, because I think it's not finished, but I'm confident it will be done tomorrow.

No comments: