Saturday, September 13, 2014

The Happiness of Pursuit



Chris Guillebeau's self-help book, The Happiness of Pursuit, published by Random House, is a real good one and I highly recommend everyone to read. Chris is an inspiring adventurous and wise fellow, an old soul I would describe him.

I'm about half way through this book and am finding very insightful wisdom, and practical advice, manifested within the stories of those who have sought after their goals by pursuing personal quests. I identify greatly with this book, as I have had many of my own person quests and journeys that have tested my own personal fortitude, made me a stronger, more compassionate individual and changed my life.

 Especially touching and poignant to me, was the story about a remarkable human being, Phoebe Snetsinger who came to deeply understand life through facing her own mortality, after being diagnosed with terminal cancer.

Her quest became even more clarified and she went after her goals with more passion and commitment than what she possessed before she was diagnosed with cancer. This story reminded me of another story I read in  Dr. Clarrisa Pinkola Estes' book, Women Who Run With The Wolves. It was entitled Skeleton Women an Inuit story about embracing life death and life cycle.

In my own life because of the loss of many people that I deeply loved I came to see life as precious and my priorities in my life became clear and paramount to me. I was able to discern what was absolutely important and my perspective changed. I learned not to sweat the small petty things and not to pet the big sweaty things!


Skeleton Woman - Egg Tempera on Wood Panel 12"x12" 2012 - Catherine Meyers

No comments: