Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Street Art - The Personal is Political



I found this site today, http://stoptellingwomentosmile.tumblr.com/

I also heard about a local school not allowing the female students to wear shorts because it was distracting the male teachers, and male students. This dress code did not apply to the male students. I found this really hard to believe. But then again it wasn't, considering the kind of abuse of power and control that is very evident throughout the world.
 In North American bullying has become a huge problem with the social online networks and youth being driven to end their own lives. This is a serious situation and can not be taken lightly.

Coming from an abusive relationship myself in the past, and finding myself in a woman's shelter on more than one occasion, I learned about the cycle of violence, and that abuse is a continuum. It all starts with misogynistic attitudes, were young girls and women are objectified, which most girls grow up with in their own families and it is carried over into our society, and in our education system unfortunately. I believe this situation in this school is a perfect example of this kind of attitude, and especially when it comes to art, the personal is political.

Here's another link to women's street art. 21 Daring Women


No comments: