Saturday, January 4, 2014

"My Dysfunctions"

Having one of those community mail boxes, that was plugged in solid with snow, I hadn't be able to get my mail for weeks, and so after finally getting to pick up letters at the post office I was happy to be clutching a bundle of mail, and in amongst everything I found a late Christmas gift from my dear life long friend. She knows how long I have journaled and fittingly sent me this.


I had a good laugh. After closely inspecting MY DYSFUNCTIONS further, I realized this was not just funny but it was serious too. My interest was sparked to learn that there is actually a Center for Journals Therapy, it's founder being Kathleen Adams. She says journals act as " 79 cent therapists. " That perhaps would be the American price. In Canada,  your run of the mill journal would be the two dollar therapists.

The introduction quotes the study by James W. Pennebaker and Janel D. Segal.

" Writing about important personal experiences in an emotional way for as little as fifteen minutes over the course of three days brings about improvements in mental and physical health. "

Apparently one study found visual artists and writers suffer more disturbances mentally than the general population. Seems we're out in front of the pack. Oh goody!

There are daily quotations each day from a variety of people adjacent to each blank page entitled, "Why I am dysfunctional today: At the bottom of each page in small print you can check a box, answering the question " What would make it better today: " Next to each icon; a coffee cup, TV, dessert, or credit card. Well today for me would have to be dessert! Pie! I made these today perhaps just feeling some post holidays blues. Or maybe because I just love pie! Ok I admit it! I'm a pie head! Happy now?!




Some of my favourite quotes?

Insane people are sure they're just fine, It's only the sane people who are willing to admit they are crazy. - Nora Ephron


I believe that everybody comes from pain and a certain amount of dysfunction. - Mariel Hemingway

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you. - Rita May Brown

Your nuts but you're welcome here.  -  Steve Martin

You can get the monkey off your back, but the circus never leaves town. - Anne Lamott


And so I can't say I am looking forward to writing daily in this journal, regarding my own daily dysfunctions. But that would be one of my many dysfunctions, denial. I'm still workin' on it.

No comments: