Sunday, October 27, 2013

Artists Dying of Exposure

Here's something I've been thinking about a lot lately.
 I read this morning in the NY Times Sunday Review, a very poignant article, by Tim Kreider expressing much of how I feel about doing work for nothing, in particularly I am referring to creative work.
I love this. I'll file it for future reference to use next time some one expects art work free gratis.

"Thanks very much for your compliments on my [writing/illustration/whatever thing you do]. I’m flattered by your invitation to [do whatever it is they want you to do for nothing]. But [thing you do] is work, it takes time, it’s how I make my living, and in this economy I can’t afford to do it for free. I’m sorry to decline, but thanks again, sincerely, for your kind words about my work."
 

The NY Times article lead me to find out learn about Kevin Boggs and  Sonia Davis Gutierrez, head of the CEAG.
 
 

No comments: