Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Carla Bonnell - In The Light of Jesus



Cousin Carla

Most of my life I knew next to nothing about my father's side of the family, as my dad left when I was I was thirteen. He'd rarely speak of his relatives. I had no idea how much creativity was in the family. My father's sister was a painter whom we'd visit on occasion during the Summer treks to Nova Scotia from Ontario every year. I remembered always feeling so heartened and affirmed knowing my aunt painted. I'm sure it helped to foster my pursuit of art. I have cousins, aunts and uncles who are musicians, actors and visual  artists.

It wasn't until I was an adult, and later reunited with my father, that I began to find out about the several cousins, that I felt, "got me", and who I had so many things in common with, in particular a shared love of the arts and music. I'd discovered a vital part of my identity, and felt like that I'd known them all my life. I guess that's one reason it is said, " blood is thicker than water".
I believe we'd all found some sort of solace, comfort, freedom and happiness within and through our creative outlets, a midst the chaotic storms of life.

I think creativity is a deep connection with a power greater than ourselves, even if at times we are unaware, and unconscious of this kind of healing power.  Creativity enables us to process what is going on in our lives. I have met other cousins who I think I could say, they've experienced this, regardless of their religious beliefs.

I have posted some country gospel music my sweet little cousin Carla recently had recorded after heading to Nashville. I am so proud of her and happy that she has fulfilled this dream through hard earned work and commitment and talent.

In The Light of Jesus she sings with heart felt honesty that I certainly relate to and I hope it blesses all who have a faith in a Power greater than themselves, and know what it means to walk the the talk.


No comments: