Thursday, May 23, 2013

Follow Your Bliss




I admit it I have some OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). Perhaps it comes with the territory being a creative person I don't know, I am not a psychologist. I am familiar with stereotypical labels and characteristics that artists so often are perceived as having. I do think artists are driven by their creative passion and they can't help but engage in the creative process. This could certainly be construed as being a compulsion.

I've been making baskets and tying knots with float line rope. Seems it's all I think about lately, and no doubt will do so until I feel this is enough, and I need a change. There is something very satisfying about this kind of creative process indulgence, but when it's run it's course, and come to completion, I feel rather frustrated and lost. I think to myself what now? I don't panic, but can feel a little anxious in that, I could easily fret about the return of my creative muse. I've gone through this process so many times, for so long, that I know I need to be patient and so I wait, for the muse to return. If I tire of waiting, I simply do something, anything creative. Daily long hand writing helps with this dryness of creative spirit and it's why I do it habitually. If I don't write every day, I just don't feel right, complete or together within myself. 

The wonderful thing about being an artist to me, is my work is my also my passion.The variety of subject matter, expression, and form all enable me to never get bored with my "job". Artists follow their passions, and bliss. They can't help but  do this, otherwise they'd be unhappy. I wish everyone could love what they do, and do what they love to work at. Don't get me wrong I've had many hard, difficult and some of the crappiest jobs throughout my life. 
The saying, find something you love to do and you will never work again is true. An artist rarely can make a full time living at their art, unless you are Damien Hirst, the wealthiest artist in the world I think, and so you need to be resourceful, flexible and willing to do whatever you can find to support yourself. 

Fortunately today, unlike when I went to art school back in the 70s, many Bachelor of Fine Art degree programs now, teachers spend a good deal of time educating students about the business end of selling art, and being an artist. Making art is about creativity, but once money is exchanged it's about commerce. Artists need to know about commerce and how to make a living from their art. Art and commerce are not diametrically opposed, as some might think and making money is hardly an evil thought to have as an artist. Contrary to popular thought we don't like to starve!

The arrival of Spring means, I take my art making out doors to enjoy the sunshine, fresh country air, the plethora of birds and the lack of bugs. 
I have posted my latest basket, along with some Spring flowers popping up in my garden. Yesterday while I was out I had a very welcome surprise visitor, the hummingbirds are back, and I am so enjoying the Canada geese!
Happy Spring friends and follow your bliss, your heart will thank you for it!





5 comments:

aurora virtuoso to be said...

Hi Cathy,
Your baskets are beautiful! I have mine in a lovely location in "the big room". The basket reminds me of my many connections with sailing and the sea. I cannot express how wonderful it was seeing you this weekend! I hope you are proud of me for managing to comment on your blog post;) Luv u!
Dawn

aurora virtuoso to be said...

Hi Cathy,
Your baskets are beautiful! I have mine in a lovely location in "the big room". The basket reminds me of my many connections with sailing and the sea. I cannot express how wonderful it was seeing you this weekend! I hope you are proud of me for managing to comment on your blog post;) Luv u!
Dawn

Indigene Theresa said...

Wow, I love your baskets! I also share some OCD tendencies myself. I think you're right about that being a creative tendency!

Unknown said...

Dawn, Oh yes indeedy doody I am proud of you! I must have had a premonition I was thinking about you making a comment! Amazing what we can do when we put our minds to it eh!!! Th
ank you for your kind words. I am so happy you are going to enjoy those baskets. It was a wonderful woman's weekend, one of the best ever! I was so happy to see you and Lynn. Only wished it could have been longer. I just found some extra rope I had so I'm a basket case again today! Love you too Dawn XO

Unknown said...

Thank you Indigene. There are very satisfying to make and people seem to love them. I think as an artist,I prefer to call it passion! ;)