Saturday, August 6, 2011

Just Continue to Create and Out of This Comes More Creativity



I didn't get one bit of drawing or painting done yesterday. I just concentrated on getting those letters out to the Herald and the Ombudsman and got my dishes washed. I did finish the rest of the chapter in my book Woman That Run With The Wolves, about Manawee and so I am completely ready to start my painting. I have no more excuses. 

I have done three paintings in four days, so I am not going to be too hard on myself. I think in the back and even in the forefront of my mind, I am always trying to push myself with my painting. I have learned that it is important to just continue to create. Out of this comes more creativity. I've struggled over the years with discipline in different areas of life. I always associated it with being forced to do something I didn't want to do, and if I didn't want to do it, I wasn't going to do it.  No body was going to make me do something I didn't want to do, not even myself! I was stubborn, pig headed and out of control, now I'm just stubborn, as hard as that is to admit.

Over the years of hard lessons learned, I came to realize being an artist means you must have discipline, not necessarily because you have to, but because you want to, and through discipline comes freedom. I never equated or related discipline and freedom with one another, but I certainly do now. It's a fabulous feeling of freedom when I am painting, and especially when I complete a painting, and am satisfied with the outcome. I think I am addicted to this feeling. There are far worse addictions I know being in recovery myself for 17 years, and for this I am grateful.

2 comments:

Betsy Grant said...

I love this post. There are so many worthwhile and important points. Creativity does bring more creativity, and discipline and freedom do go together when being creative! Experience over time shows us the truth of these statements. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Thank you Betsy for your comments. Yes experience sure is a great teacher!