Sunday, February 13, 2011

Writing Everyday

Why you should keep a handwritten journal.
I have been trying to be very diligent in posting every day, but honestly not always writing. It is a different kind of journaling when you sit working from a computer. I recently heard a news item that said neurological science has proven that those children who are fluent in writing long hand, had actually developed parts of their brains that enable better brain function and with those of an older age can off set dementia and keep the brain active. There is also a link to an increase in creativity with the development of the the process of actual hand writing.

This is great news and it confirms and further explains to me why I have held the belief that writing long hand is such a beneficial exercise . If it is done on a daily basis well then it stems to reason, the more you do it, the more of a benefit it would have. That said, here I am writing on this here darn computer and think I need to get back to writing long hand again. The temptation of writing on the computer is a strong one. The computer is an escape of sorts and regardless if what I am doing resembles work. I have noticed quite acutely as of late, since I have been daily blogging as part of a daily project, for my Open Media class that my regular long hand journaling has gone by the way side in many ways, though I am still writing some, just not nearly as frequently like I was. So, I need to make a concerted effort to get back to this. I have discovered writing long hand is a way of anchoring my life, because I have something tactile that has a physical commanding presence, that the virtual world does not really offer me. I think this enables and forces me to see myself, and helps me to grow as a human being.

I'm off to do some long hand writing in my journal.

No comments: