Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Discernment - Forks In The Road




I have come to love this word discernment. Looking for definitions I came across this site and the following resonates with me. As well I came across this blog about visionary blogging and discernment.



Discernment is the ability to grasp, comprehend, and evaluate clearly. It means we can see the true nature of things; it allows us to distinguish between what is real and what is imitation.

Discernment may begin with intuitive hunches and perceptiveness. With intuition as a starting point, the quality of discernment is built over time on honest observation, careful reasoning, and balanced application of our knowledge and principles. In a person who is highly discerning, intuition, emotion, and reason inform each other. As we grow in experience, our ability to discern usually grows stronger, providing us with insight that propels us toward greater wisdom.


By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
- Richard Dawkins


8 comments:

Sneels said...

Leah comes to mind when I read the definitions. It's something about her that I really look up to!

Betsy Grant said...

I heartily agree with this post of yours. Discernment is a by product of obtaining proper knowledge on how and what to pay attention to in life - learning true, lasting values in life, and how to LIVE them.

Chad Wooters said...

Not to be contrary but the quote itself seems to lack discernment. The quote blurs the lines between intuition, perception, knowledge and understanding. Strictly speaking I believe discernment means the ability view distinct entities as separate from each other and take notice of subtle differences between similar things.

Unknown said...

Yes Laura, Leah is very wise beyond her years I think.

Unknown said...

Good points Betsy!

Unknown said...

Chad I don't have a definition of discernment any more that is confined within a Christian ideology only. Most of the definitions I found were coming from this context. The ability to grasp, comprehend and evaluate is clear to me.
Discernment does involve intuition very much so and perceptiveness, my gut, balanced with, reason, knowledge and understanding and that brings wisdom I believe. Nothing blurry about that.

Chad Wooters said...

Point taken. Nice to have a conversation going about something meaningful for a change. Keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

Chad,

It sure means a lot to me to have exchange from other artists especially outside of my "comfort zone". Thank you for all of your comments.