Friday, December 5, 2008

The Blank Canvas

I am about to embark on a new painting. Facing me is the blank canvas. Seems this always is a daunting endeavour. It doesn't matter how many times I begin a new painting, to some degree or another it always happens, regardless of me knowing before, this is going to be my experience. All the negative voices of my inner critic come rushing in that say. "You can't do this, who do you think you are , an artist? Crazy stuff. Now I don't really hear these exact words of my inner critic, it is more of a feeling. I wonder when these kinds of feelings leave an aritist or if the ever do. More importantly for me, what matters is to ignore these thoughts and feelings and let them go, as easily as they come. I continue to move forward inspite of them, and perhaps even because of them and make a conscious choice to take a proactive, positive approach to my creative undertaking. Thank goodness I have learned to do this and that my need and desire to be creative far outways the negative mind set and attitude I could easily take on, but choose not to today, and for that I am grateful.

Kind regards - Catherine

No comments: